The North San Antonio Chamber of Commerce board of directors met on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 and heard a presentation from Northside ISD Superintendent Dr. Brian T. Woods and NISD School Board member Katie Reed on the merits of the proposed $648.34 million bond package that addresses the need for new schools to manage continuing growth and the need to improve existing schools. The North SA Chamber board voted to endorse the NISD bond proposition and encourages its members and the community to vote “yes” on the bond package in the May 10 election.
Basis for Endorsement of 2014 NISD Bond Package:
- Northside enrollment has continued to grow by over 2,000 students every year.
- Half of all new homes built in Bexar County are located in Northside.
- Northside is the largest school district in the San Antonio metro area and the 4th largest school district in Texas.
- More than half of Northside schools are older than 20 years; and some were originally built as early as the 1950s.
- In the fall of 2013, a 250-member Citizens’ Bond Committee, made up of parents from all NISD schools, senior citizens, business representatives, other community citizens, and teachers looked at enrollment projections, analyzed the needs of the district, and recommended that the School Board call for a bond election.
- The NISD Board of Trustees approved a bond proposal that asks the voters for $648.34 million to build 409 new classrooms and make other major improvements and renovations to most Northside Schools.
- Improvements Include:
- major renovations of libraries, cafeterias and science labs at older schools and replace entire buildings;
- make necessary upgrades to infrastructure systems like roofing, heating and air-conditioning; and
- update students’ and teachers’ technology and add “interactive white boards” at elementary schools.
Bond package details, source: http://nisd.net/bond/2014/
The North San Antonio Chamber has been keeping member businesses and San Antonio strong for 40 years by advocating on behalf of member businesses large and small; delivering exceptional, business-to-business networking opportunities; honoring leaders at every age and career stage; and cultivating the workforce through leadership and professional development training. Through Lead SA, our 501 (c) (3) entity, we assist member small businesses and non-profit organizations with access to career development and advance higher education through scholarship gifts to area colleges and universities. northsachamber.com • leadsa.org